Re: PS-0 end drawings needed

rwitt_2000

Tim,

Unfortunately I believe John Nehrich PS-0 designation has created
confusion. In my humble opinion there are two groups of early
Pullman-Standard boxcars. The first group from the mid-1930s that were
all welded and marketed as "light weight" cars. I believe some used
Con-Ten and other special steels.

There is another group of cars built from ~1940 to ~1941 such as the WLE
and KCS express boxcars referenced by Tim, that utilized existing steel
freight construction methods with riveted sides, etc. where
Pullman-Standard supplied what Tim refers to as "Car Builder" ends.
There where two versions of these one for square corner posts and one
modified for "W" corner posts.

The B&O ordered cars from P-S in 1941 that had the car builder ends.
Their class M-55a and M-55b and their first group of 50-ft automobile
cars the M-57, M-57a with Evans auto loaders, and M-57b with end doors.
The 40-ft cars followed AAR 1937 standard with an IH of 10'-0" and these
ends had 4/5 pattern. The 50-ft cars had an IH of 10'-6" and these ends
had a 5/5 pattern where the upper corrugation was slightly shorter. The
corrugation had the usual complex shape and tapered to a blunt point at
their ends. The B&OHS has drawings for these ends, as yet not digitized,
and as noted in another post, Ted Anderson at the Pullman Library of the
IRM should have the original drawings for all these boxcars.

I believe we need some other designations to separate the early
"light-weight" all welded boxcars built by Pullamn-Standard, John
Nehrich's PS-0, from the later cars that followed traditional freight
car construction methods for that time, e.g. riveted construction using
the usual thickness of plate steel for the various components.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Plus one oddball, Rock Island #149041, built in 1939.

Roster Reference:
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/153/11083/november-1993-page-29

My notes say that John Nehrich's article Mainline Modeler Feb 1988
pp.40-45
has some PS-0 drawings, but I haven't searched for that issue to see
whether
there is a drawing of the ends or not.

I call the ends "Pullman Standard carbuilder ends" because they
appeared
on a number of other PS box cars: CGW 91000-91099, CGW 92000-92149,
C&EI
low numbered box cars ("Dixie Flyers"), SAL AF-1/AF-2 (I think), and
maybe
the KCS 50' express box cars.

The UP series 186000-186049 were actually in two classes B-50-34 and
-35.
The -34 had peaked Murphy roofs and the -35 had the PS welded radial
roof.

"'PS-0 or PS-Zero' was John Nehrich's lexicon for two groups of
Pullman's pre-war lightweight welded boxcars, the first built in 1936
and acquired by CGW, B&LE, and UP; the second group built in 1936 and
acquired by NKP, W&LE, and PM."

Trying to get responses out in a hurry - the second group of cars was
built in 1940. Thanks to Brian Carlson for the correction. Apologies
for any confusion.

Ben Hom