Dave,
I believe that Ambroid did a ventilated kit, in both O and HO.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 2/6/2011 4:28:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
devans1@... writes:

All,

The retirement of the Westerfields, along with Wright Trak's new offering,
has forced me to examine the VM, VA, and VS populations during WWII as
part of attempting to build a "balanced" fleet.

I want to avoid the "fleet balancing" debate, but would like to inquire as
to the available ventilator models in HO.

It appears the Westerfield 40' model, based on a USRA DS box car (Kit
#7000 series), another Westerfield FEC 40' (kit #6300 series) that was no
longer in service as a VA car by WWII, and the Wright Trak model are the only
options available today?

Looking at the F&C web site, they list a transition FEC VA (kit 6410), but
the photo looks like the vents are not in the kit. An old Walthers catalog
lists kit 6400, but it is not on F&C's web site (suspect it is because
6400 was a flat kit, and 6410 is a one-piece body kit). This car is a little
problematic for fleet building since this car was a small fleet (200 cars
total, with less than a third of them still listed as VA in 1943 - the rest
were converted to type XI)

I do not have references to the SAL class V9 car, but the number on the
Wright Trak literature (28156) corresponds with a 36' car in the '43 ORER (in
fact in '43 all SAL VA's are listed with IL between 35'9" and 36'1"), but
I have not seen the length of the Wright Trak kit listed anywhere.

The '43 ORER recapitulation lists the following:

10,292 VA/VM under 40', the vast majority being within a few inches of 36'
IL.

3,325 40' VA/VM, with 82% of those being registered under CofG (100 under
C&O, the balance ACD, which I think is the Westerfield 7000 series car)

A quick look at the "Post-war" fleet book suggests that each Road's
ventilator class had some distinctive door related feature - either the vents, or
the door tracks - which seem to vary greatly, along with the usual
distinctions of side sill style/visibility and underbody/center sills, so I am not
sure the Wright Trak will be very "bashful" to fill the gaps in other
roads.

Is there now, or has there in the past, been any other VA/VM models
offered in HO?

Once again more 36' foot cars may be missing from my WWII fleet - I would
like to get to a point where visitors report they are surprised at the
number of 36' cars in the fleet - rather than exclaim - "what is that short
car" when one of only a few 36' cars passes by.

Trying to figure out how to fill this gap. As an alternative, confirmation
of the gap is also welcome.

Many Thanks,
Dave Evans