Re: Oil extraction

Jeff Coleman

I work in a full service tank car repair shop and I can tell you that most customers use the bottom outlet far more than not for off loading all products.
I'm not sure if this was the case in the steam era or not but it is now.

Jeff Coleman

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Birkett" <tnbirke@> wrote:

Usually the eduction line is specified as being 1" off the bottom of the
car.

The dome can stay closed if the car is equipped with a vacuum relief
valve, which is basically a big check valve, but I am not sure when they
came into general use.

Tom
Tom, your information is very factual, and undoubtedly entirely correct for the current era, but it seems that most, if not all, oil unloading cranes used at the small bulk plants during the steam era had their own suction line arranged to drop into the tank through the manway, whereupon the material was pumped out.

Dennis