Re: LRX Image...

mforsyth127

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Feb 14, 2011, at 8:59 AM, MDelvec952@... wrote:

The DL&W added truss rods to some of this batch of reefers to
stiffen the sills, and this is clearly seen in the photo
Plausible but untrue, Mike. The cars were built by MDT at a time
when both MDT reefers and New York Central box cars were equipped
with shallow steel center sills to absorb draft and buff forces and
two truss rods under the center sills to support the center of the
car. I have several photos, including builder's shots, of cars with
this odd combination of steel center sills and truss rods.

Richard,

I might be mistaken, but LRX 7218 is one of a group of original DL&W reefers, 7000-7299, built ACF, 1925. They were white with black hardware when built, lettered DL&W, and did NOT sport truss rods.

It was not until they were later transfered to MDT that they were lettered LRX, and the truss rods were applied some time thereafter.

Matt Forsyth (former DL&W modeler)