Re: LRX Image...

ROGER HINMAN

The MDT disposition records show they did sell DL&W a few of the older 40 foot cars with the Bettendorf underframe during the war,probably for end of life ice service. Its plausible these cars had filled in some time with the LRX reporting marks but I have no data indicating it. I'd have to check the ORERs and see exactly how many of the original ACF were returned in the late 40s. If it was less than the number they started with, the lease may have required filling in the holes with available older cars.

Roger Hinman

On Feb 14, 2011, at 4:57 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Feb 14, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Matthew wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Feb 14, 2011, at 8:59 AM, MDelvec952@... wrote:

The DL&W added truss rods to some of this batch of reefers to
stiffen the sills, and this is clearly seen in the photo
Plausible but untrue, Mike. The cars were built by MDT at a time
when both MDT reefers and New York Central box cars were equipped
with shallow steel center sills to absorb draft and buff forces and
two truss rods under the center sills to support the center of the
car. I have several photos, including builder's shots, of cars with
this odd combination of steel center sills and truss rods.

Richard,

I might be mistaken, but LRX 7218 is one of a group of original
DL&W reefers, 7000-7299, built ACF, 1925. They were white with
black hardware when built, lettered DL&W, and did NOT sport truss
rods.

It was not until they were later transfered to MDT that they were
lettered LRX, and the truss rods were applied some time thereafter.
Matt, I lay no claim to be an expert on the DL&W, even less on their
reefers, but I based that statement on the fragmentary information I
have plus the photographic evidence. I have an in-service photo of
DL&W reefer 7026 which, though no built date is visible, has all the
distinctive features of a mid-'20s AC&F wood sheathed reefer, among
them a 40-ton-USRA-style deep fishbelly center sill. I have another
photo of LRX 7218, and it is a car of quite different design with a
shallow straight steel center sill and a pair of truss rods under the
center sill which appear to be part of the original underframe
design, as the center sill would have had insufficient vertical
stiffness without them. Truss rods would, of course, have been
unnecessary on the AC&F cars. So the 7000-7299 series appears to
have consisted of cars of at least two different designs.

Richard Hendrickson