Re: B&O Freight Car Brown, was Re: B&O Wagontop

O Fenton Wells

Gentlemen, It took awhile but the topic finally came down to my level.
Scalecoat Oxide Red and Floquil Zinc Chromate Primer. Got it. I have one
more Sunshine B&O wagontop to do. This will help.
Thanks
Regards,
Fenton

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM, jim_mischke <jmischke@...> wrote:

Prior to 1945, B&O used a hand mixed paint with a ferrous oxide pigment on
its boxcars and cabooses, calling the recipe "Freight Car Brown".

Ferrous oxide is basically aged rust, a brown hue with a reddish overtone.

A genuine B&O paint chip for this color has not emerged, and color photos
of this paint in decent shape are rare. There is a newly painted wood M-15j
in a Jack Delano Kodachrome image at Galewood in Chicago at the Library of
Congress web site. I work from that.

This brown paint weathers quickly (rust paint on a rust prone steel boxcar)
into a myriad of effects. Sometimes it feels quixotic to search for the
original color when it doesn't last. Still, it would be good to start with
some documented B&O practice, however elusive.

I am looking at Tamika military model paints for inspiration, their
red-brown in particular, but will withhold judgement for the time being,
consider it research in progress.

In 1945, B&O began to specify bright red oxide commercial paints for new
cars and repairs. Ed Hawkin's ACF paint chip collection for B&O boxcar
orders shows that this transition was not uniform nor timely. Photo evidence
suggests some B&O car shops kept using freight car brown for years to paint
repaired cars.

The best paint for this B&O bright red oxide is Scalecoat Oxide Red #2002.
I will also use Floquil Zinc Chromate primer for variety.

--- In STMFC@..., O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Gentlemen, any idea of which model paints, if any out of the bottle best
match this " Alkali Resisting Brown" ?

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2011, at 10:07 PM, rwitt_2000 wrote:

I believe the post-WWII "13 States" cars should be painted oxide red
not
the earlier dark brown. Maybe Ed Hawkins can find the bill of
materials
to verify the paint specifications for the 500 class M-58a built by
AC&F
in 1947 for the B&O.
Bob,
You are correct. According to the paint sample for the M-58A 50' box
cars built by AC&F in 10-47, the cars received Pittsburgh Synthetic
paint (an oxide shade). So the switch from brown to oxide red
occurred sometime between 12-41, when the M-55A/B box cars that
received "Alkali Resisting Brown" were built, and 10-47. This oxide
shade was similar to that used by ACL, CNW, L&N, UP and others during
the postwar years.

A portion of the M-60 and M-61 50' box cars built in 1951 received an
even lighter-brighter shade of oxide red, much like the color Western
Maryland used during the 1950s, while the balance received the same
oxide shade as the M-58A cars.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

--