Re: LRX Image...

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 14, 2011, at 2:20 PM, Matthew wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

Matt, I lay no claim to be an expert on the DL&W, even less on their
reefers, but I based that statement on the fragmentary information I
have plus the photographic evidence. I have an in-service photo of
DL&W reefer 7026 which, though no built date is visible, has all the
distinctive features of a mid-'20s AC&F wood sheathed reefer, among
them a 40-ton-USRA-style deep fishbelly center sill. I have another
photo of LRX 7218, and it is a car of quite different design with a
shallow straight steel center sill and a pair of truss rods under the
center sill which appear to be part of the original underframe
design, as the center sill would have had insufficient vertical
stiffness without them. Truss rods would, of course, have been
unnecessary on the AC&F cars. So the 7000-7299 series appears to
have consisted of cars of at least two different designs.
Richard,

I suppose that anything is possible in the composition of the LRX
fleet, especially after transferring the cars to MDT, but here's a
builder's shot of DL&W #7000, the flagship (which is in the public
domain).

http://mattforsyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/DLW-7000.jpg

It does not have a fishbelly center sill, but rather is straight,
and at least to my eye, looks to be of the exact same construction
of that of car #7218, that I posted before. If you look closely at
#7000 you, can also read the ACF builders and repack data.
Aha! The plot thickens! DL&W 7000 is yet another reefer design,
also (obviously) by AC&F but with a straight rolled steel center
sill. However, that underframe (especially on a reefer, typically
lightly loaded by comparison to other freight cars) would never have
needed truss rods to support it. We may get some explanation of this
confusion from Roger Hinman, who really is an expert.

Richard Hendrickson