Re: LRX Image...

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 14, 2011, at 2:40 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

I have several photos, including builder's shots, of cars with
this odd combination of steel center sills and truss rods.
Richard Hendrickson
I'm confused Richard -- I thought that ALL truss rod equipped
cars from the 1920's onwards had steel center sills, since wooden
center sills were banned from interchange.
No you're not, Tim. that is correct.

Or did you mean to say that the use of only TWO truss rods is
the unusual feature of the LRX/MDT cars?
Exactly. The two truss rods were directly under, or just on either
side of, the center sill. There were no other truss rods, and the
side sills, though concealed, were apparently conventional steel
angles or channels.

Richard Hendrickson