Re: LRX Image...

MDelvec952

Lackawanna's big reefers from ACF were distinctive for having the straight center sill, versus the fishbelly center sill common on ACF reefers of that era.

I have some photos of these in service in the 1930s, '40s and '50s. All of the 1930s in-service photos show cars with no truss rods, including the car numbered LRX 1939 for display at the New York World's Fair and the LRX 7268 from the 1940 World's Fair (7268 is notable as the only one with an Ajax hand brake). Only photos from the 1950s show cars with truss rods. The cars with truss rods all have KV (DL&W's Keyser Valley Shops near Scranton) shop marks, which is consistent with local railroaders who claimed that Keyser Valley added the truss rods.

I have DL&W general arrangement drawings for these cars dated 1944 and 1952, and neither mentions the truss rods though one of the photos is dated 1951.

The three cars pictured during the 1950s were empty when the photo was taken, though one car is stenciled to be returned to the Nickel Plate Road at Cleveland. That car has a reweigh date KV 4-40, same as the World's Fair car. Other reweigh dates are earlier than the 1950s. The addition of truss rods should require the car to be reweighed, but it's odd that the 1944 or 1952 books don't mention the truss rods though they mention so many other less significant components, modifications, etc.

If a concrete reason for the addition off truss rods surfaces, I'd love to hear it. The downgrading of reefers on the DL&W was to use them in ice service ,which is more dense than produce. But I have seen writings and waybills that discuss bananas and potatoes as common lading, the latter moved in the winter with heater pots in the ice bunkers. It's been my hope to model one or two one day.

Mike Del Vecchio

In a message dated 02/14/11 20:56:43 Eastern Standard Time, rhendrickson@... writes:

Aha! The plot thickens! DL&W 7000 is yet another reefer design,
also (obviously) by AC&F but with a straight rolled steel center
sill. However, that underframe (especially on a reefer, typically
lightly loaded by comparison to other freight cars) would never have
needed truss rods to support it. We may get some explanation of this
confusion from Roger Hinman, who really is an expert.

Richard Hendrickson