From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of Steve
Lucas
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 2:31 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Peacock hand brake...

I'm thinking that the Peacock ratchet handbrake looked somewhat like a
peacock? A small body holding the gearing, and an about two-foot long brake
lever attached to it. This brake is worked by ratcheting the lever
vertically.

I recall that this handbrake was standard on many GM GP-series locomotives.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gene"
<bierglaeser@> wrote:

The name Peacock came to the National Brake Co. (now Ellcan-National) with
the Champion brake. I have never been able to find the origin of the use of
Peacock in connection with hand brakes. I thought it might have been an
inventor's name but that doesn't seem to be the case. Does anyone out there
in cyberspace know the answer?

BTW, National put the Champion-Peacock 1148 (trade name Micro-Matic) into a
different housing so this particular hand brake - in terms of appearance - is
pretty much to the period 1937 to 1953.

Gene Green

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE