From: tgregmrtn@...
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:18:58 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Murphy ends continued

Heavens to Murphy...   Like that term?  <g>

Greg Martin

Eventually all things merge into one, and a river runs through  it.
Norman Maclean

Tony  writes:

As anyone knows who has perused Cyclopedias, the term "Murphy" is not very
specific for anything. It was used by Standard Railway Equipment to denote
a  whole slew of roof designs, some quite different from each other, as well
as a  couple of different end designs. As far as Richard Hendrickson and I
have ever  been able to determine, the term refers back to an invention of
interlocking  metal parts which made the combination water-tight, or
approximately so. Thus  the term could be applied to any component which employed
that arrangement.  One supposes that "Murphy" refers to the inventor, rather
than to the  well-known "Murphy's Law." <g>
If someone on the list knows more, I'd  like to hear it.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley,  CA
(510)  540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, _thompson@...
(mailto:thompson@...)
Publishers  of books on railroad history