Re: paint sripping

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Ray and Friends,

Whether brake fluid works as a paint stripper depends on the paint and the plastic. I used to do this a lot years ago, and it worked well for me with Athearn and Roundhouse paints, but some other paint wouldn't strip at all. Sometimes the paint came off well, but it wouldn't remove the lettering.

The plastic itself can also be dicey. I melted a Bachmann 44-tonner shell in just one night using brake fluid. It is also very bad for some (maybe most) resin castings. I ruined one of Martin's kits in brake fluid after a botched paint job. Fortunately, I was able to salvage the sides and ends, but the floor and roof were really distorted.

I would say, "Use with extreme caution."

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

On 2/28/2011 10:39 AM, Raymond Hatfield wrote:
Hello Don,

I'm new to the list, but this is a subject I can comment on - believe it or not,
automotive brake fluid is a safe and effective paint stripper for models (and
autos as well!) I have a 1:350 scale model of the RMS Titanic I had to totally
strip and repaint, and this worked wonders for me. Use a shallow dish of an
appropriate size to soak it in, and use an old toothbrush to scrub nooks and
crannies

Raymond L. Hatfield