Re: Murphy ends with vertical ribs



How does one tell the difference?

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "Frank Valoczy" <destron@> wrote:


Best I've been able to gather is that these were known as Vulcan ends.
Let's not mix apples and oranges, so to speak. The Vulcan ends were marketed by the Chicago-Cleveland Car Roofing Co. As mentioned elsewhere, the Murphy name is usually associated with items sold by the Standard Railway Equipment Co. Both companies made corrugated ends, both with the corrugations pressed inwards and outward relative to the flanges that attached to the car side framing, and both made versions with the ribs oriented either horizontal or vertical. Yes, they look somewhat the same, because they were intended for the same purpose, but it's like Ford and Chevy; both make mini-vans and both make pick-up trucks, but that is where the similarity ends.


Join { to automatically receive all group messages.