Re: Murphy ends with vertical ribs

Frank Valoczy <destron@...>

Dennis,

Not to make a big issue of it, but all the references I've seen to the
ends on the PM cars with the vertical 8+8 ribbing called it a Vulcan end;
I've never seen any reference to vertically-placed Murphy ends. That there
were other vertically-ribbed ends besides Vulcan is quite likely - a CBC
(1926 I think?) has a drawing of an "Atlas" end with vertical ribs, though
it's quite different from the one on the PM cars (or on the WLE cars, or
on the NYC cars, for that matter) - this Atlas end has ribs of different
widths, narrow outboard and wider inboard. Maybe it's just my eyes playing
tricks, but the tapered bit on the ribs on the PM car seem a bit longer
than the tapered part on a car with a 7/8 horizontal panel (NdeM 60891 for
reference - first one I flipped open to in the 1932 ARA book).

Did car builders have a tendency to favour one supplier over another? Or
was the use of ends specified by the railway? Or did the builder get to
make some input on that decision? I ask because the PM cars in question
were built by Western Steel Car & Foundry (the very similar PM cars of
86000 series with 4-panel Hutchins ends were built by Pressed Steel Car
Co.), maybe that might shed light on who made the ends for the cars in
question, which may lead towards an answer to our initial question...

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

soolinehistory wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Valoczy" <destron@...> wrote:

Fritz,

Best I've been able to gather is that these were known as Vulcan ends.
Let's not mix apples and oranges, so to speak. The Vulcan ends were
marketed by the Chicago-Cleveland Car Roofing Co. As mentioned elsewhere,
the Murphy name is usually associated with items sold by the Standard
Railway Equipment Co. Both companies made corrugated ends, both with the
corrugations pressed inwards and outward relative to the flanges that
attached to the car side framing, and both made versions with the ribs
oriented either horizontal or vertical. Yes, they look somewhat the same,
because they were intended for the same purpose, but it's like Ford and
Chevy; both make mini-vans and both make pick-up trucks, but that is where
the similarity ends.

Dennis

!DSPAM:1291,4d6bf1c4308681140689847!