Re: Mystery to me box car

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dennis Storzek wrote:
But the "sluff" track can be any convenient track. These are specifically placed between the ladders. My best guess is they are, for want of a better name, "hand-off" tracks.
Most yards that have separate ladders like this use one yard for eastbound traffic, and one for westbound. Sometimes one switcher or the other will be working a cut that has cars that go both ways; such as when working a way freight that just arrived from switching the local industries . . .
Not sure this description is at odds with calling it a "slough track" though I recognize it's a little more specific.

Publishers of books on railroad history