Re: Duty Paid-Why Archbar Trucks Listed?

cef39us <cfrench@...>

Steve Lucas wrote:
The GN likely paid duty on these cars to allow them free passage
across the border and to stay in Canada for a long period of time.
Duty was paid on ceratin CN sleeping cars to allow their travel back
and forth across the border without restriction. In the 1950's, the
CPR had duty paid on certain locomotives running in New England.
The CPR also had PS-1 boxcars built for its US division, the
International of Maine headquartered at Brownville Jct., ME.
Steve, in the list of cars in a conductor's time book I've
looked at for 1948-1952, I was struck with the observation that in
among all the other other cars were two different CN box cars being
LOADED in California. Could these also be duty-paid cars, or is this
just a plain old rule violation? One, for example, was loaded in
Salinas with dry beans to Modesto, both California locations.

Steve and Tony,

A "cars on hand" report from Forrest, IL on the Wabash, shows three
CN and eight CP box cars set out for grain loading on 9-30-52. One of the CN cars was used for brick loading at Streator, IL. I do not
recall if there was any further record of the cars beyond the day they were set out.

There were also a few interesting non-Canadian box cars which were in Forrest in 1952, including Ga Fla 7485, Rutland 8101 and 8005, SD&AE 7002, and Wichita Falls & Southern 6063.

Chet French
Dixon, IL