Re: Duty Paid-Why Archbar Trucks Listed?

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Chet and Tony--

Well known to Canadian roads was the penchant of US roads to keep Canadian cars during car shortages. One of Ian Wilson's books mentions CN train crews being cautioned to be wary of giving a clean CN car to a customer, knowing that the car would be loaded for a destination within the US. Which explains CN cars being loaded with beans, grain, and other lading in the US.

But then again, Canadian roads often appropriated US roads' box cars for grain loading, and anthracite roads' hopper cars for gravel loading! I have copies of mid-1940's elevator ledgers from Midland, Ontario to prove my first assertion. Here's a link to a case study mentioning the use of US roads' cars for grain loading--

http://www.canadianbranchline.com/grain1.htm

From this article--

"Now, let's take a look at the 39 foreign cars which found themselves loading wheat from the Secord at the Tiffin Elevator in July 1943. It is not surprising to see boxcars from roads which connect with the CNR in the Great Lakes area, such as C&O (one car), DL&W (one), Erie (three), GTW (three), L&NE (two), NYC (two), PRR (three), PM (one) and SOU (one). From the New England area, there was the B&M (one). A multitude of roads with Midwestern connections also weighed in, such as AT&SF, CB&Q, CSt.PM&O, M&St.L and SOO (one each), C&NW, IC and MILW (two each) and MP (three). Northwestern roads GN (four) and NP (one) were also represented, as was Southwestern road D&RGW (one). The CASO, an Eastern Canadian road with a small roster, fielded a car."

Back to Tony's oringinal question--I think that there were no requirements for Canadian STMFC's to have duty paid on them to remain in the US. STMFC's flowed freely across the border, loaded and empty, subject only to Customs inspection and sometimes holding a loaded car in bond in a yard near the border while awaiting Customs clearance.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "cef39us" <cfrench@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Anthony Thompson <thompson@> wrote:

Steve Lucas wrote:
The GN likely paid duty on these cars to allow them free passage
across the border and to stay in Canada for a long period of time.
Duty was paid on ceratin CN sleeping cars to allow their travel back
and forth across the border without restriction. In the 1950's, the
CPR had duty paid on certain locomotives running in New England.
The CPR also had PS-1 boxcars built for its US division, the
International of Maine headquartered at Brownville Jct., ME.
Steve, in the list of cars in a conductor's time book I've
looked at for 1948-1952, I was struck with the observation that in
among all the other other cars were two different CN box cars being
LOADED in California. Could these also be duty-paid cars, or is this
just a plain old rule violation? One, for example, was loaded in
Salinas with dry beans to Modesto, both California locations.

Steve and Tony,

A "cars on hand" report from Forrest, IL on the Wabash, shows three
CN and eight CP box cars set out for grain loading on 9-30-52. One of the CN cars was used for brick loading at Streator, IL. I do not
recall if there was any further record of the cars beyond the day they were set out.

There were also a few interesting non-Canadian box cars which were in Forrest in 1952, including Ga Fla 7485, Rutland 8101 and 8005, SD&AE 7002, and Wichita Falls & Southern 6063.

Chet French
Dixon, IL