Proto 50' box couplers

Dean Payne

All this talk about the roofs for the Proto 50' auto box got me to looking at mine. I have both the NKP, and the Erie with end door. I noted that the couplers appear to stick out very far. I'm wondering:

Did I somehow get a long-shank coupler on BOTH cars without knowing that I had any long-shank couplers? I don't think so...

Is this to simulate a cushioned underframe?

Or, did Proto position the coupler mounting like that to allow the cars to track/couple around 18" curves?

If this is NOT desirable, should I get a set of short-shank couplers for these two cars? (Kadee 43, 143 or 153)

I'll try NOT to look to hard at the roofs, which should be replaced by Stan R's Viking roofs...

Dean