Re: Baltimore Museum of Industry Image Collection-MP Box Car

MDelvec952

I found the site loading fine, but that may be just luck and timing for once.

Interesting imagery. That MP boxcar being unloaded was a surprise to me in that the photographer didn't show the grain leaving the car as would have been the likely reason the photographer was there. I wonder if there are more negs in that series somewhere.

As for the tank car -- this image to me looks posed so as to place both people in the scene at once. The pole up top is for gauging, but often when a scale isn't present what they're measuring is the distance from the top of the fluid to the top of the dome so that the actual volume in the car can be calculated before emptying the car. The tempurature of the product is also recorded as that is a component of the volume calculation -- a thermometer on a chain is lowered into the car. Loaders need to record these items so the customer can be billed for the contents. The unloaders record this stuff so that the buyer can reconcile the volume being paid for. Yes, it's not unsual for the volume calculated at the receiving end to differ from that calculated at the shipping end, at least on paper, and depending on what the individual taking the gauge. The long pole is also used to measure the depth of the heel remaining in the car before the empty is shipped. Even though today's tank cars are pitched toward the bottom valve to reduce the size of the heel, there is always a ribbon of contents at the bottom; there is often an allowance for the heel somewhere in the paperwork between buyer and seller.

Depending on how this facility operates, any quantity could be unloaded at a time and both men may be participating in that. Where I work tank cars with raw materials are often partially unloaded to make blends without having to fill a storage tank. A scale isn't practial, so volumes are calculated via gauging as was done in the steam days, both for inbound and outbound loads.

Mike Del Vecchio

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Fri, Mar 11, 2011 3:17 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Baltimore Museum of Industry Image Collection-MP Box Car

Al - I had the same problem; site was very slow.

Jim Brewer

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 12:37:55 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Baltimore Museum of Industry Image Collection-MP Box Car

Did anyone have problems with this site Image Collection being very, very slow yesterday afternoon? If not, then it is my old Pentium 4 processor PC and Comcast's old over-stretched system.

Al Kresse

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 12:16:11 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Baltimore Museum of Industry Image Collection-MP Box Car

Also from the Baltimore Museum of Industry, an interesting photo of MP
#31783 boxcar being unloaded at WM Ry grain elevator in Port Covington.
A very good view of the running boards ca. 1956.

http://tinyurl.com/4u5gt5j

Catalog NumberBGE.30791Object NameNegative, FilmDescriptionInterior view
of grain carrying cargo being unloaded at the Western Maryland Railroad
Grain Elevator
Port CovingtonDate8/28/1956
One can search by catalog number only (i.e. BGE.30971).

Bob Witt

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

=

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.