Re: Pacemaker boxcar usage off-line of NYC

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 16, 2011, at 1:55 PM, James Yaworsky wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson
<rhendrickson@...> wrote:
[snip] Note, however, that until near the end of
the Pacemaker P/L scheme in the 1960s these cars operated almost
entirely in captive service on the NYC system and DID NOT go off
line.
As a CASO NYC modeler, this statement jarred me a little. It was
certainly the original intent of the NYC that these cars not go off-
line, and the minimal reporting data on the first few paint schemes
was designed to discourage interchange.
The absence of weight data didn't merely "discourage interchange," it
absolutely prevented it.

However, the "post-1960" paint scheme (offered by Intermountain)
had full reporting marks, and research shows those cars were no
longer in restricted service.

[snip]
Even when the cars lacked full reporting marks, they were
apparently constantly drifting off-line.

In short, many of the Intermountain cars would be appropriate for
almost any 1950's and especially 1960's layout - especially the
model of the most recent of the 4 schemes offered.
By the 1960s, sure, cars that still bore Pacemaker P/L schemes went
off line in interchange. But Jim, please note that this list is
confined prototypes and models before 1960. In the absence of
compelling evidence, I'll continue to maintain that the Pacemaker
cars did not go off line in the '40s and early '50s and seldom went
off line after that. Yes, I know, there is the occasional photo of
one taken when off NYC system rails - and taken precisely because it
had strayed off NYC rails and therefore a very unusual sight. I have
a couple of those photos myself. But that doesn't justify the desire
to run Pacemaker cars on layouts representing other railroads
because, well, they're just so pretty. You can delude yourself about
this if you like, and even fall back on "it's my model railroad and
I'll do what I damned please," but this is a list for PROTOTYPE
modelers.

Richard Hendrickson