Re: Pacemaker boxcar usage off-line of NYC

brianleppert@att.net

It makes me think that the "Pacemaker" cars
174000-174999 were somehow quite different. Was it just the trucks, or
some other factor?

Tim O'Connor
Definately the trucks. The trucks I've seen in the photos are 50-ton Barber S-1-L, but NYC had changed the spring package. Instead of the normal 4 springs per side frame that were standard on S-1 trucks, these had only had 3, surely to provide a softer ride for a lighter load. For a good photo of one of these trucks, see Richard Hendrickson's truck article in Railway Prototype Cyclopedia, #4, page 42.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV