From: Tim O'Connor <@timboconnor>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Foreign Road Stock Cars
To: STMFC@...
Date: Friday, March 18, 2011, 3:46 PM

Dave

It's a good question. I don't know about livestock flows, but it does
seem to me that many urban stockyards were far larger than required for
the local market (i.e. slaughterhouses). So I assume that the largest
stockyards like Omaha, KC, Chicago, Denver were intermediate points for
stock to be SOLD either to slaughterhouses, or to brokers. And if they
were sold to brokers, then wouldn't they be shipped on a new bill of
lading to another stockyard? But railroad stock pens like Laramie WY
or places like that probably were for resting and feeding only, and
the livestock probably were reloaded into the same cars on the same
bill of lading.

The 28 hour rule limited the distance that could be covered between
rests -- maybe 500 miles (e.g. Omaha-Chicago) on a good day.

Which doesn't really explain foreign stock cars, does it? :-) Just be
mindful that not all stock cars were loaded with livestock. Some might
be loaded with lumber, or fresh tomatoes (PRR short hauls to Campbells
in Camden NJ), or even coal!

Tim O'Connor

I do not want to re-open the entire fleet balance debate, but I have not yet researched what a viable mix of stock cars would be on a PRR stock train (e.g. Man-of-war) in central Pennsylvania (after resting the east bound animals at Herr Island in Pittsburgh).

I guess the generic question is, once a stock car is loaded with stock that is destined for a specific location, could that car be replaced when the stock was removed for rest/feeding/car cleaning at an intermediate location, or would the car and its stock go all the way to the destination?

I would think this would govern whether western road stock cars make it east of Herr Island. I need to start identifying what models to buy.

Are there any era dependencies? I am modeling WWII.

Thanks,
Dave Evans