Re: Pacemaker boxcar usage off-line of NYC

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 18, 2011, at 7:02 PM, Gene wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "al_brown03" <abrown@...> wrote:

Remind me please, someone: what "dimensional" data did the AAR
require for interchange? Just LD LMT and LT WT as on the Pacemaker
cars in RP CYC 8, or was there supposed to be more?
-- tia --
-- Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.
Al,
I don't believe anyone directly answered your question.

In Section 3, FREIGHT CAR CONSTRUCTION of each Car Builders'
Cyclopedia there is "A.A.R. [or A.R.A.] Standards, Lettering and
Marking" near the beginning with illustrations showing the required
lettering for different types of freight cars. These are large,
easy to read drawings.

(Photos are better for lettering models, of course, but these
drawings could be used in the absence of a photo. Doing so would
almost certainly guarantee that someone would immediately come up
with a photo proving said lettering to be wrong.)

The correct source, because it is updated at least annually and in
most years more often than that, is the Interchange Rules but there
are few or no illustrations, just text.

Absolute statements that the lack of required stenciling makes
interchange impossible are not exactly correct, close but not
quite. The interchange rules give the receiving railroad the right
to refuse to accept a car not in compliance if the receiving
railroad chooses to do so. They can also accept such a car.

As a practical matter, the most likely instance of interchanging a
car not in compliance with interchange rules is inside a switching
district where a switching line may hand off a car not in
compliance to another railroad for delivery within that same
switching district.

The two paragraphs above are going to get me into trouble so I'll
be ducking for cover as soon as I hit 'send.'

Truth be told, it would take a bevy of Philadelphia lawyers to
figure out all the interchange rules. That is why you will find a
Code of Car Service Rules and Interpretations in every Equipment
Register and why the ARA/AAR has an Arbitration Committee and why
there is a long list of Arbitration Committee Decisions in each
annual Proceedings of the ARA/AAR Mechanical Division or
predecessor organizations.

Gene Green
Ducking for cover now ;-)
No need to duck for cover, Gene. That is as clear a statement of the
facts as could reasonably be made. Of course the interchange rules
weren't always absolutely enforced to the letter of the law, since it
was the receiving railroad's responsibility to do so, and an official
who could exercise that responsibility wasn't always on the scene.
On the other hand, the rules weren't merely trivial and were not to
be ignored with impunity. Certainly there is evidence of violations,
but such violations were rare. For example, I have a W. C. Whittaker
photo of an Illinois Northern box car in Oakland CA clearly stenciled
"not to be operated off IN rails." But you can be sure that whoever
allowed that car to be loaded for an off-line destination got called
on the carpet.

Richard Hendrickson