From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
SUVCWORR@...
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:08 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] 40's era tank cars for sulfuric acid loading

As the recovery of SO2 in the form of sulfuric acid resulted primarily from
the institution of air pollution regulations, it is doubtful that much was
occurring in 1948. The firs air pollution regulations in the US were
adopted in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) Pennsylvania in 1948 with
implementation beginning in 1949. Even with that it took years to bring
about any significant reduction in SO2 and corresponding production of
by-products such as H2SO4.

Rich Orr