From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:45 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: [STMFC] "MACHINERY LOADS FOR GONS" ARTICLE

Bill:

In going through all of my AAR Rules books covering the "Loading of
Commodities On Open Top Cars" I find no mention of the covering or tarping of
the load. The rules are very specific as to how the load was to be secured to
the car. I would assume that after inspection by the "Railroad Loading
Inspector" the shipper could cover the load with tarps any way they wanted to
protect their product from the weather. One would assume that to insure that
the tarp stayed in place for the entire trip they were well secured to the
car.

Paul C. Koehler

_____