Re: B&O circle T

Ken Braden

Ouch Tim… necessary?

I added the "Jim Mischke would chime in soon" to qualify my answer, but
since that wasn't sufficient, I am adding below to qualify my answer.
Here are some quotes from the B&O Yahoo group and who posted them and
when.

* "The Time-Saver logo was introduced in late 1957. This was
just a logo, if it was really in Time-Saver Service (B&O's
less-than-carload service), it would have a little "T" in a circle
somewhere down around the car data fields."
Jim Mischke Sept 17, 2001

* "One marking common to B&O boxcars during the 1950's was a
little "T" in a circle down by the number. This was short for Time-Saver
service, B&O's less-than-carload freight service.
* The circle T stencil meant that the car was qualified for
Time-Ssaver service, mostly merchandise. I assume this meant a plain
boxcar, fairly modern (by broad B&O standards) clean, no rats, and no
special equipment for the automotive trade.
* Cars so marked drifted in and out of LCL service as needed. Mostly
out, the LCL trade was well into decline by then." Jim
Mischke Mar 2, 2002

* "The Circle "T" meant the boxcar was fit for Time-Saver
Less-Than-Carload (LCL) service.
* This probably meant:
- can go on fast trains
- meets main line clearances (the Parkersburg Subdivision maybe, maybe
not)
- kept clean and cleanable (i.e. had never carried raw animal hides or
Cragmont diet cola powdered mix)
* There were many, many more B&O 40' boxcars so marked than actively
in LCL
service, this mark denoted a high level of fitness for a premium
service.
* I've never seen a 50' boxcar so marked with the circle "T", such
cars did not
clear tight spots in the Parkersburg sub tunnels. Besides, LCL cars were
rarely filled up (cubed out, as they say), why use an extra cost 50' car
better
used elsewhere?
* The blue Time Saver boxcars (blue with the orange comet) was a
1947 vintage
promotional paint scheme applied to perhaps only seven cars, we believe.
These
cars were regular boxcars and circulated nationwide.
* Further, the 1958 vintage "Time Saver Service" slogan with the
billboard (Large
"B&O") scheme on red B&O boxcars was promotional only.
* B&O LCL service was terminated in 1961 as a part of the draconian
financial
turnaround B&O implemented to avoid bankruptcy."
Jim Mischke Mar 3, 2003

* "Here are some of the odd markings you will find on B&O
freight cars, from a 1940 B&O diagram, revised to 1955, and a couple
related memos:
* circle T - boxcar car fit for Timesaver LCL service (clean,
mechanically sound)
* circle S - structural limitations (like archbar trucks), home line
service only
* circle H - cars repaired under Reconstruction Finance Corp.
agreement (1930's)
* circle G - covered hoppers suitable for glass sand loading
* circle X - hoppers unfit for revenue coal service without heavy
repairs, okay for company fuel
* white star - cars with reduced load limits due to structural
limitations
* white cross - hopper door gear burned and bent for third rail
clearance (discontinued 1941)
* white rectangle - boxcars with altered (modernized??) lateral
running boards
* white rectangle/circle (like USAF fighter plane logo outline, on
door) - boxcar equipped for handling auto parts
* white dot (6" dia.) - hopper cars suitable for handling powdered
coal
* white dot (3" dia., above car initials) - hoppers for stone
* white stripe (3" thick, on boxcar door) - automobile boxcars with

* Company service
* X road number - cars for company service only, restricted to 30
mph. movement
* XM road number - cars for company service only, fit for track
speed"
Jim Mischke /Feb 25, 2004

I hope this helps. Jim, did I get all this correct?

Ken Braden

www.smd.cc <http://www.smd.cc>

www.fcsme.org <http://www.fcsme.org>

And this confidence comes from..... repetition?

Tim O'Connor

At 3/26/2011 01:48 PM Saturday, you wrote:
Tim I'm almost 100% confident in my answer. Jim will come along soon
and
confirm this for us.

The Boxcars with slogans on them were more billboards than cars that
were
used for the LCL service. B&O used the Circle T to indicate that the
cars
met the requirements for LCL use.

Ken Braden