Re: reweigh decals

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 30, 2011, at 3:18 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Tony, you mentioned Sunshine's line of reweigh decals and then
wrote that "Champ also did a set".

Actually, Champ produced 12 sets --

HD-50 reweigh station symbols N'east
HD-51 reweigh station symbols North
HD-52 reweigh station symbols West
HD-53 reweigh station symbols South
HD-60 reweigh dates 1930-1934
HD-61 reweigh dates 1935-1939
HD-62 reweigh dates 1940-1944
HD-63 reweigh dates 1945-1949
HD-64 reweigh dates 1950-1954
HD-65 reweigh dates 1955-1959
HD-66 reweigh dates 1960-1969
HD-67 reweigh dates 1970-1979

Sunshine's sets (and Ted Culotta's decals too) are not especially
useful for modelers of the mid 1950's or later. There are VERY FEW
dates on the sets after 1955, compared to the huge numbers of dates
for the 1940's or early 1950's.

Champ's HD-65 has been a lifesaver for me! All of the sets contain a
variety of type sizes and styles including distinctive prototype
styles
such as PRR.

Union Pacific modelers 1950's are out in the cold -- no yellow reweigh
sets from Sunshine or Champ, although Champ did a "UP data" set... but
I think that was just a part of one of Champ's UP freight car sets.
I'm always surprised that modelers don't know about these. They're
much more comprehensive than the Sunshine decals and the reweigh
station symbols were chosen from the list that's in the STMFC
archives, to which a number of list members contributed. I use them
all the time and find them invaluable.

Richard Hendrickson