Re: Foreign Road Stock Cars

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dan Holbrook wrote:
Based on interviews with Car Distributors I worked with, these locations had livestock "reloading", both resting, feed lot and resales, besides the associated meat packing. As such, during WWII it was easier, quicker and faster for the serving carriers to utilize each others cars instead of going to the effort to reswitch, clean and prep the cars and respot. Mixing of equipment regardless of destination was commonplace.
I don't understand these statements. The minimum resting time was 5 hours, and animals could not be reloaded into dirty cars or with old bedding. If I understand the rules correctly, there was no alternative to cleaned and rebedded cars. I am not aware that the livestock rules were waived during World War II. But if someone has contrary info, I'd like to hear it.

Publishers of books on railroad history