From: Dave Evans <devans1@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Fri, Apr 1, 2011 12:25 am
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Steam era freight yards, take II

--- In STMFC@..., "pullmanboss" <tcmadden@...> wrote:

On Veterans Day 1960 I took a series of three shots of the PRR Phillipsburg facilities from across the river just south of Easton. A couple of years ago I assembled them into a panoramic view of questionable quality - at least, as best as I could. When taking the photos I neglected to overlap the left and center ones:

http://www.pullmanproject.com/Phillipsburg.jpg

The line of cars at the left is no doubt bound for or just in from the Alpha cement plant at Martin's Creek, PA, a few miles north of Easton. The PRR crossed the Delaware to reach it, while the DL&W served it from Bangor to the north, and the LNE came up from the south. Fascinating place.

Tom Madden
Tom,

Thanks for the post - the white tower near the right edge of your photo was likely just behind the photographer of the photo that started this. Interesting equipment in your photo - a Russel snow plow, I think a derrick (hard to make out).

A railfan site claimed the PRR had a hump yard here - I am not convinced and can not find any indication of that anywhere.

Dave Evans