Re: Steam era freight yards, take II

John C. La Rue, Jr. <MOFWCABOOSE@...>

A flanger and a Jordan Spreader; the flanger yellow, the Jordan black. The Russell is well to the left of those two. All were more or less permanently assigned to the Phillipsburg yard.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Fri, Apr 1, 2011 12:25 am
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Steam era freight yards, take II

--- In STMFC@..., "pullmanboss" <tcmadden@...> wrote:

On Veterans Day 1960 I took a series of three shots of the PRR Phillipsburg facilities from across the river just south of Easton. A couple of years ago I assembled them into a panoramic view of questionable quality - at least, as best as I could. When taking the photos I neglected to overlap the left and center ones:

http://www.pullmanproject.com/Phillipsburg.jpg

The line of cars at the left is no doubt bound for or just in from the Alpha cement plant at Martin's Creek, PA, a few miles north of Easton. The PRR crossed the Delaware to reach it, while the DL&W served it from Bangor to the north, and the LNE came up from the south. Fascinating place.

Tom Madden
Tom,

Thanks for the post - the white tower near the right edge of your photo was likely just behind the photographer of the photo that started this. Interesting equipment in your photo - a Russel snow plow, I think a derrick (hard to make out).

A railfan site claimed the PRR had a hump yard here - I am not convinced and can not find any indication of that anywhere.

Dave Evans

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.