Re: A.E. Staley tank car paint schemes

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 5, 2011, at 12:00 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

I have two Intermountain Type 27 tank car paint schemes - black car,
and a silver car. And I have a Proto2000 Type 21 paint scheme -
orange.
I'm pretty sure there were orange cars, and WHITE cars in the 1950's.
But I've never seen a silver (aluminum) car, and the only black car
photos I've seen are from the 1930's...

So my questions: Is there a chronological order to Staley paint
schemes?
Are the Intermountain cars foobies? Did multiple Staley paint schemes
co-exist in the 1950's?
I have photos of Type 27s with both black and aluminum tanks leased
by SHPX to Staley in the '30s and '40s, so the IM cars are definitely
authentic, though I don't know how long those leases lasted. They
must have been pretty long-term, though, otherwise SHPX wouldn't have
gone to the trouble to stencil the cars with the elaborate Staley
lettering. The orange Staley scheme was adopted early in the 1950s,
and I have a photo of an orange Type 21, so the Proto 2000 car is
accurate as well, for that time period.

Richard Hendrickson