Re: Georgia RR decals

Bruce Smith

On Apr 6, 2011, at 10:28 AM, consol2579 wrote:

Does anyone know of a source for white Georgia RR decals for the
Tichy steel outside braced boxcar? As I understand it the silver
paint scheme was not instituted until the late 1950's so not
appropriate for era I model-1950-52. thanks, Tom Dill
Tom,

You are mistaken about the paint dates. The Georgia RR rebuilt USRA
boxcars have been discussed a number of times over the years on this
list. The general consensus is that they were painted aluminum
beginning in approximately 1941. Many of those cars were repainted
mineral red in the mid to late 1950s although some stayed in aluminum
into the 1960s, so actually, the aluminum and black scheme is
probably the best bet for you. Also note that the Tichy roof is not
correct for these cars as they either had a flat welded roof or a
radial roof. Finally, Richard Hendrickson noted, back in 2005, that
the aluminum cars often had their reweigh date painted out in some
other color, such as mineral red and restenciled in white at the time
of reweigh.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith