From: Rob Kirkham
To: STMFC@...
Sent: 4/6/2011 1:02:18 AM
Subject: [STMFC] boxcar design evolution

A while ago I was able to make a trip into Sandon BC and take photos and
measurements of the freight cars there. Now I'm writing a description of
two of the cars. They were from the CPR 230000-233499 series composite
boxcars - boxcars very much like the USRA design. And as I write about
them, I wanted to say that when the cars were built in 1920-21, they were
more or less the best boxcar design on the market.

But I wonder if that is really accurate? For example, would the similar
cars used on other railways that used Z bracing (rather than the pressed
steel shapes on the USRA and CP cars) be considered better or poorer - or
was the difference inconsequential from the point of view of boxcar design
evolution? Meanwhile, was there anything else on the market yet that was
clearly superior?

Rob Kirkham