Re: A few PFE questions.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dick Harley wrote:
I'd like to correct some info about the UP medallions and add some further comments.
According to the drawings I have, from 1922 (when medallions were first introduced on PFE cars) until 1946, the UP medallion used on refrigerator cars was drawn within a 45-inch diameter circle, which made it 41.781 inches tall (often referred to as 42") from tip to tip.
As Tony stated, the SP medallion was a 45-inch circle.
Dick is right about the UP medallion being drawn inside a circle. I'd forgotten that detail of the medallion layout.

Beginning in 1928, the medallions used on PFE reefers were vitreous enamel on metal, and in 1929 the car side color changed from a yellowish color to the familiar Daylight Orange color. So, the "System/Overland" UP medallion (and SP medallion too) on any orange car was almost surely a metal medallion. I have never seen a photo showing otherwise.
I am not as certain as Dick about this, because many, many older cars with yellow paint were repainted orange in the early 1930s, but my information does not indicate that metal medallions were applied to other than new or freshly rebuilt cars. There are not a great many photos that I've seen from 1929-1936, but I agree I've never seen a painted "System" medallion photo.

Since the replacement for the metal UP medallion up until 1942 was the painted-on "Union Pacific/Overland" medallion, I am wondering whether the "System/Overland" medallion would be appropriate for a 1941-era model - except as a rare piece.
Dick makes a good point here, that the "System" metal medallions were being removed in an apparently systematic fashion, and i hadn't thought of that aspect. I agree with him that such a medallion is not a good choice for the original questioner's fleet of three PFE cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history