Re: SOO single sheathed box car

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "mopacfirst" <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

And, one car has Z-bracing between the door and the next vertical post, and the other one does not. (!)

Ron Merrick
An undetermined number of these cars wound up with leftward opening doors, for some unexplainable reason. And I've seen a photo of at least one car that had the improved Youngstown door, with the center lift lever. Actually, it appears the rebuilding was done around 1953 or 54, and that late one would think that they should all have improved Youngstown doors, which makes me wonder if the doors weren't salvaged from something else, but I can't determine what. They may have been bought second hand (the doors, that is).

Dennis