Rapido KGNX 37’ Meat Reefers

John Hile

Hello All,

I have been doing my research, trying to determine which of the new Rapido meat reefers would be suitable for mid-`52 to mid-'53, and am looking first at the Kingan cars. I'll make some additional posts for the other cars I am considering as I pull together the info.

I looked at the Rapido offerings, and utilized Railway Prototype Cyclopedia Vol. 14, Gene Green's Refrigerator Car Color Guide, the Billboard Refrigerator Cars book, a listing of 1952 General American refrigerator car assignments by Terry Metcalfe in Volume 28 of Freight Cars Journal, as well as the Jan. 1953 ORER.

I would appreciate any additional information from the group as I try to evaluate these KGNX cars.

KGNX 3102 – 3149, Hygrade's: Terry Metcalfe's article shows cars 3100 – 3199 as GARX assigned to Kingan in 1952, but not as KGNX. KGNX car numbers are 3500 – 3599, and that matches the info for KGNX reporting marks in the Jan. 1953 ORER. RPCyc 14, page 93 says Hygrade's bought Kingan in 1953. Photos of Hygrade's cars in the RPCyc article show car 3102 in 12/59, and car 3106 circa 1963. Am I correct in thinking this Rapido scheme is better suited for a late 50's era?

KGNX 3045 – 3137, Kingan – large logo (Blue): The Metcalfe article shows series 3000 – 3064 and 3100 – 3199 as GARX assigned to Kingan in 1952, but not as KGNX. KGNX car numbers are 3500 – 3599, and that matches the info for KGNX reporting marks in the Jan. 1953 ORER. Photos in the Refrigerator Car Color Guide show blue Kingan schemes on various cars in 1954, 1955, and 1956. The Billboard Refrigerator Cars book shows GARX 3355 with a large red (per the caption) Kingan logo in 12/51. Am I correct in thinking this Rapido scheme is better suited for a '54-> era?

Can anyone confirm that either of these cars could be made accurate for my era by renumbering into the KGNX 3500 – 3599 series?

For a Kingan car, am I better starting off with a painted, unlettered from Rapido and using a Clover House GARX set (8980-01, -02 or -03) to which I could add the simple "Kingan & Co" lettering like GARX 3132 shown 10/51 on page 92 of RPCyc 14?

Thanks,
John Hile