Re: Tank Car Photos (Library Of Congress)

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 8, 2011, at 6:57 PM, Bob C wrote:

The link below is to the Library of Congress photo collection. This
group of photos is of the United States Nitrate Plant No. 2 in
Colbert,
Alabama. Photos 23, 24 and 25 show steam era (?) tank cars. Photo 25
appears to have been taken in the era of ACI labels.
Bob, the cars in photos 23 and 24 appear to be white-lined and out of
service. TVAX 1053, in photo 25, has reporting marks and numbers but
the data lettering is insufficient for it to have been in interchange
service. So I think these cars were confined to the plant trackage.
TVAX 1053 appears in the photo to have been a 10K gal. GATC car built
before GATC switched from riveted to welded tanks, so it's certainly
a second-hand steam era car, possibly from the U. S. military tank
car fleet. However it isn't in the TVA listing in the earliest
(1965) ORER that shows TVA, nor in the 1967 ORER I have, and the
photos aren't good enough on the internet to say anything more to the
purpose.

Richard Hendrickson