Re: RTR Resin

Andy Harman

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:33:06 -0700 (PDT), Ray Breyer wrote
Put away your torches and pitchforks for a minute here. The vast majority of
people who enjoy the hobby of model railroading (I do hate to call them all
"modelers") are NOT "rivet counters". They don't CARE about hyper accuracy.
But what more and more of them DO care about is what's becoming known as the
Jim Six school of modeling: proto REALISM. That means a MORE accurate approach
to building a freight car fleet, which is one reason you no longer see Athearn
40 foot boxcars painted for everything under the sun.
The 64K$ question here is, do people who don't care about accuracy care enough to buy a
resin car with cast on details when they can buy a faux Intermountain car as a stand in
with the same paint scheme? It's one thing to have an "and also" segment to the market,
but these cars would be aimed dead center at a really small market and those on either
side may not be interested in them at all. Then again, I could be all wet. I didn't
think Branchline's Yardmaster series would go anywhere - but the cars looked enough more
better than a bluebox Athearn that people did seem to scoop them up. But I really don't
know how many were sold as compared to the BL Blueprint series. I do know when I go
searching that auction site for Branchline kits, I have to put "-yardmaster" in the
search to exclude them, because there are a ton of them out there.

I suppose if someone made a one-piece resin of something I really could use, I might buy
it - but I'd want a kit, and I'd be shaving off the molded on grabs and ladders. Deja
vu all over again, at 21st century prices.

Andy