Re: RTR Resin

Tim O'Connor

Andy

MANY HO scalers (I hesitate to say modelers) will not buy Intermountain or
other such cars with delicate details -- but they will and do spend big bucks
for trains that suit their fancies. As Charlie Vlk says, one should be cautious
about trying to "profile" the customers -- The Yardmaster cars were indeed very
successful, I've seen many of them on the club layout. And they stand up to
far more abuse than many highly detailed (and far more expensive) models.

Tim O'Connor

The 64K$ question here is, do people who don't care about accuracy care enough to buy a
resin car with cast on details when they can buy a faux Intermountain car as a stand in
with the same paint scheme? It's one thing to have an "and also" segment to the market,
but these cars would be aimed dead center at a really small market and those on either
side may not be interested in them at all. Then again, I could be all wet. I didn't
think Branchline's Yardmaster series would go anywhere - but the cars looked enough more
better than a bluebox Athearn that people did seem to scoop them up. But I really don't
know how many were sold as compared to the BL Blueprint series. I do know when I go
searching that auction site for Branchline kits, I have to put "-yardmaster" in the
search to exclude them, because there are a ton of them out there.

I suppose if someone made a one-piece resin of something I really could use, I might buy
it - but I'd want a kit, and I'd be shaving off the molded on grabs and ladders. Deja
vu all over again, at 21st century prices.

Andy