Re: Tank car question

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 12, 2011, at 9:08 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:

On Apr 12, 2011, at 10:01 AM, cepropst@q.com wrote:

A friend picked up a Red Caboose tank car kit in a shop that still
has a few kits, Westerfield kits still on the shelf!

The body is silver with data only. He'd like to know what reporting
marks would be acceptable.

Thanks!
Clark Propst
Clark,

As has been discussed here a number of times, there are very few
correct paint schemes for this post WWII welded type 103W car. The
most common would have been the US Army Transportation Corps. While
the Transportation Corps did have some cars in a silver scheme, I'm
not sure that these cars used that scheme. Additional cars were in
the SHPX lease fleet (probably black), SL-SF and few in other private
fleets.
Bruce is correct. Many prewar riveted USQX cars were painted
aluminum when new, but AFAIK all of the welded cars were delivered in
black and stayed that way at least until the late 1950s, after the
reporting marks changed to DODX. In the '60s they were repainted
with light gray tanks, but I've never seen any evidence that any of
them were painted aluminum. Red Caboose issued these models in many
colorful oil co, etc. P/L schemes, but to the best of my knowledge
all of them were bogus, based on P/L schemes applied to earlier
riveted tanks. I have photos of tie cars in both black and gray
which could be used as a lettering guide, but I don't know what's
available in the form of decals or dry transfers.

Richard Hendrickson