Re: Tank car question

leakinmywaders

....>any prewar riveted USQX cars were painted
aluminum when new, but AFAIK all of the welded cars were delivered in
black and stayed that way at least until the late 1950s, after the
reporting marks changed to DODX. In the '60s they were repainted
with light gray tanks, but I've never seen any evidence that any of
them were painted aluminum. ....
Richard: Oops, didn't see this in your post til now. Maybe they were repainted light satin gray-- I haven't seen any very fresh repaint pics to confirm. Or are there military paint specs available on this? In any event the Red Caboose models do mellow down to a very nice light gray satin sheen with appropriate weathering and Dullcote.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT