Re: Missing Significant Frt Cars

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

I'e mentioned the IC two-and three-bay "alternate standard" hopper. As well as the Enterprise GS gon in 36' and 40' variants. Being a quasi-CN 1956-era modeller, those two come to mind immediately.

But then there are also the CN 503500-513499 series 40' seven-panel steel frame boxcars, which travelled all over North America. So, far there have been three resin kits in HO, and one in O.

All are IMHO, good candidates for RTR models, but I've been told how small fortunes are made in the model rail business. By starting with large ones...

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "mike brock" <brockm@...> wrote:

Somewhere in the multitude of comments about RTR non injection molding [
NIM ] frt cars was a suggestion that there might still be a significant frt
car that has NOT been done using the injection molding process. By
definition [ for this message ], a "significant" frt car is one that
appeared in relatively large numbers on American RRs...but not necessarily
on ALL American RRs. Yes, that would include frt cars of all types.
Hence...the obvious AAR Alternate Standard 2 bay offset side hopper car.
Hint: C&O had about 20,000 and they roamed all over states from Illinois to
Virginia, north to Michigan. Two were even filmed crossing Sherman Hill [
gasp! ]. I mean, even Santa Fe had them [ 200 ], NP, NKP, P&WV, Clinchfield,
WLE, and Erie [ strange RR...it didn't go through Erie but...did go through
Brockway so what's not to like? ]. What else? Well...how about a 4 bay
offset side AAR hopper car?

So...what else...other than the UP H-50-4?

Incidentally, MP hopper cars operated from California to WV. Anyone know of
a hopper that operated farther?

Mike Brock