From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of mike
brock
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:28 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Missing Significant Frt Cars

Somewhere in the multitude of comments about RTR non injection molding [ NIM
] frt cars was a suggestion that there might still be a significant frt car
that has NOT been done using the injection molding process. By definition [
for this message ], a "significant" frt car is one that appeared in
relatively large numbers on American RRs...but not necessarily on ALL
American RRs. Yes, that would include frt cars of all types.
Hence...the obvious AAR Alternate Standard 2 bay offset side hopper car.
Hint: C&O had about 20,000 and they roamed all over states from Illinois to
Virginia, north to Michigan. Two were even filmed crossing Sherman Hill [
gasp! ]. I mean, even Santa Fe had them [ 200 ], NP, NKP, P&WV, Clinchfield,
WLE, and Erie [ strange RR...it didn't go through Erie but...did go through
Brockway so what's not to like? ]. What else? Well...how about a 4 bay offset
side AAR hopper car?

So...what else...other than the UP H-50-4?

Incidentally, MP hopper cars operated from California to WV. Anyone know of a
hopper that operated farther?

Mike Brock

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE