Re: MP hoppers California to West Virginia

jerryglow2

From my observations in Lala land, I've seen high sided MP gondolas (usually singles) with coke but full strings of hoppers were coal.

Jerry Glow

Mike

Those MP hoppers could have originated in Texas, and could be
filled with coke made from petroleum. I have a photo showing
three MP, one B&O, and one N&W hopper loaded with petroleum coke
at a Texas refinery.

Tim O'Connor

Santa Fe gurus are no doubt pulling out what hair they have left today after
viewing the photo on pg 25 of the just appearing War Bonnet, First Quarter
2008. They probably thought...ohhh nooo...when they looked carefully at the
photo. It shows a nice view of the San Bernardino yard in 1950 with mention
that the El Captitan is arriving. However, much more interesting to those on
the STMFC that are always on the lookout for "eastern style" hoppers in
California is a string of cars 5 tracks away. Here we see no less than 8 MP
3 bay hopper cars [ maybe more ]...filled with what looks
like...well...coal.

Mike Brock