Re: Tank car question

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 12, 2011, at 8:19 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Richard, are you sure about the black paint? I have a 1952 color view
of USAX 10983, and it definitely appears to be dark green -- like
DGLE,
or Brunswick Green. The lettering is yellow. I think Proto 2000 (or
maybe
Intermountain) did a green USAX tank car.
I'm sure most of them were black, Tim, as I remember seeing them in
the late '40s and early '50s. As for your color photo showing a
green car, one can't argue with photographic evidence (though,
frankly, I'd suspect some sort of color shift in the photo).

The "light gray" may be "imitation aluminum" -- the color of UPS
trailers.
Some photos show DODX tank cars in an aluminum color, but that's
well after
the STMFC era.
I have several shots of the cars in the '60s which consistently show
them as light gray, though none show a recently repainted car so its
conceivable that the "light gray" is actually faded and weathered
aluminum. I'll add, however, that a survivor exists at the Portola
RR Museum in California, and it was definitely painted light gray
when they got it.

Richard Hendrickson