Re: Baltimore and Ohio hopper cars...

Jim Mischke

The B&O hopper car at North Conway, marked 829839, is a curious aberration.

During 1965-66, B&O leased some offset side twin hoppers from Maine Central, all painted in B&O Billboard lettering scheme. This lease was temporary, you will one find this series only in the 1965 or 1966 Railway Equipment Register. Because they were leased, it carried no B&O or B&O/C&O class number.

Returned to Maine Central it was repainted. You can see how the museum approched it when acquired, this series often had B&O lettering showing through. The assumption was that it is former B&O. Well, yes. For about a year. It might be more properly displayed as a Maine Central car in MC paint.

I have no photos of this series on B&O. Maybe Paul Dunn saw one but I do not know. Only have photos on Maine Central afterwards with B&O lettering showing through fading MC paint.

--- In STMFC@..., Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Steve Lucas asked:
"I've been told on this list that B&O hopper cars had Duryea draft gear. What
online photos I can find confirm this, except for this car painted up as B&O
829839 on the Conway Scenic at North Conway, NH--

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2176474

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2190867

This car appears to have conventional draft gear.

Was this a B&O car, or is it a 12" = 1' reproduction using another road's car?"

Later classes of B&O offset hopper cars (N-41, N-44 twins; W-8, W-9 triples) did
not have Duryea cushion underframes.  However, in the case of this car, the car
number appears to be bogus as it doesn't fall inside any pre-1964 B&O hopper
number series.  The closest number series is 829300-829783, Class N-41a, 484
ex-LNE cars acquired in 1963.

As Rich Orr suggested, see my article in the May/June 2009 issue of The B&O
Modeler for more information on the B&O hopper fleet.

Ben Hom