Re: Necessary Freight cars (UNCLASSIFIED)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Rob;

I can tell you about a recent experience, but not who.

A manufacturer told me that they had exceeded the 100k mark at the "draft
final" stage of CADD development, and that was with largely gratis research
on the unit and RR differences and details over time and such.

The CADD had a lot of things incorporated to allow the parts to be assembled
assembly-line fashion, so it was not a matter of doing general arrangement
drawings, but an almost step-by-step guide from part to final assembly.

Jack and Richard are absolutely correct; The best that I, a non-manufacturer
can do, to encourage a product (and I have encouraged a lot of them), is
supply the manufacturer with data on where to get plans (or provide them),
details, appearance over time, painting and lettering diagrams, photos, RR
usage, advice on detail parts, and all that stuff. Their level of knowledge
is so far beyond mine from that point forth, it takes folks trained in CADD,
kit manufacture and many other skills to realize the product.

The hard part is convincing them to do it....

Elden Gatwood

P.S. Be on the lookout for some new HO-scale kits you will like!

I've been reading through this thread - resin kits, necessary cars, etc.
It
makes me wonder about the breakdown of a manufacturer's costs. For a
manufacturer of injection molded styrene cars, how much is spent developing
CAD drawings in HO scale - would a manufacturer be appreciative of well done
drawings if a hobbyist generated them and handed them over gratis?

While I'm not claiming the ability to create such drawings, I wonder what it
would take to be able to produce something useful?

For a few months I've been messing around with scale 3D drawings of
prototype cars I've measured. I've sent the drawings to Shapeways to
generate HO parts. I'm not really keen on what I get back - still too
course resolution for a lot of modelling needs, although there is potential.
But it makes me wonder - if I have fun creating drawings for that limited
purpose, would they be of value to a manufacturer? Or puting it another
way - where would they have to be different to be useful to a manufacturer?
For example, if I knew more about draft angles, I could build them in. I'm
sure there are other technical requirements I've no competence to even
assess.

But it makes me wonder - would useful CAD drawings substantially reduce a
manufacturer's costs and make some projects more viable?
Rob Kirkham