Re: Necessary Freight cars (UNCLASSIFIED)

armprem2 <armprem2@...>

Not necessarily just coal road modelers.The wheel reports that I have indicate that hoppers were second only to box cars in number.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: Gatwood, Elden SAW
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:11 AM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Necessary Freight cars (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

George;

It may be reality, or just blather.

I know modelers and layout builders that have HUNDREDS of hoppers, all less
than state-of-the-art, and ALL of them tell me they'd buy dozens of RTR cars,
IF they were offered. Yes, they each have good numbers of Kadee twins (which
we all LOVE), but honestly, if you're not modeling the RDG (or C&I, GA etc.),
just how many do you need? Most coal road modelers are ACHING for their pet
hopper to be made in RTR plastic. Trouble is, most of them are one-road
cars, or small road cars.

When Bowser came out with the PRR H21A, in singles, six-packs and 12-packs,
they couldn't keep them on the shelf. Now they've reached saturation. Folks
just don't need them with all they currently own.

Could someone produce an RTR H21A/E with state-of-the-art details, and would
it sell well enough to re-coup? Absolutely. Do manufacturers believe this?
Those we've spoken with say no. I say they are missing a big opportunity.

One of these days one of them will bite, and off to the races.

It'd be the same with a GLA, an X31A, and several other PRR freight cars.
Each road has its examples.

I also believe an alternate standard offset twin would sell, and yet we don't
even have a resin kit....but we do for a chisel-side IC offset twin?

C'mon....

Elden Gatwood

P.S. There is one resin manufacturer doing EXTREMELY well off a niche
market. Anyone want to guess who that is?