Re: CB&Q tank car

Rupert & Maureen <gamlenz@...>

Gary & Brian

Thanks for the suggestions. The Burlington didn't have any Bettendorf tank cars, but it did purchase Standard Steel cars sometime in 1918. These cars were class TM-5, #151000-151124 (some later 231000-231124 and 230800-230924) 12,500 gallon with an outside length of 43' 5 1/4".

I notice that there is no ladder and platform below the expansion dome, unlike the photos I have found of the TM-5. If these were Standard Steel cars, would the ladder and platform have been on both sides or only one?

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

--- In STMFC@..., "gary laakso" <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

It appears to be a Standard Tank Car Company product due to the placement of the straps in the center of the car inbetween the dome and the end of the car. The tool to confirm this would be a picture of the bolsters which do not show in this picture. Pressed Steel Car Company made a large number of tank cars for Great Northern in 1911, so it could be from that builder also.

gary laakso
vasa0vasa@...

----- Original Message -----
To: STMFC List
Sent: 4/14/2011 4:09:22 AM
Subject: [STMFC] CB&Q tank car

I have posted a photo showing a CB&Q tank car oiling tracks west of Chicago to keep down the dust. The photo has been copied from the Railway Age Gazette of September 1911.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/photos/album/2022239872/pic/list

A horizontal perforated pipe has been attached to the bottom outlet of the car to distribute the oil "which is heated by steam from the engine", but with baffles to prevent it being sprayed on the rail, and the flow rate is controlled by a lever attached to the outlet valve.

Can anyone give me some clues about the car?

Thanks

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.