Re: Wood floors in gons?

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Edward Sutorik wrote:
Someone on the Atlas forum asked about wood floors in gons--in particular, Railgons. I "asserted" that Railgons never had wood floors.But it did get me wondering about the general case. It's interesting that typical flat cars have wood deck flooring; but, it appears to me, that gons rarely do. I thought I'd ask "the folks" their opinions on the matter.
Wood gondola floors were more common than steel ones in the steam era, for the exact same reason that wood decks were used on flat cars: loads and cribbing were more easily attached.
The biggest exception was the kind of mill gon which normally carried steel structural shapes or plate. These did not have to be secured with any dunnage in most cases and needed to be as durable as possible.
ORER entries often identify wood vs. steel floors in gondolas, simply so car clerks would know the proper assignment of such cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history