From: "Anthony Thompson" <thompson@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 11:02:57 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Wood floors in gons?

Edward Sutorik wrote:
Someone on the Atlas forum asked about wood floors in gons--in
particular, Railgons.  I "asserted" that Railgons never had wood
floors.But it did get me wondering about the general case.  It's
interesting that typical flat cars have wood deck flooring; but, it
appears to me, that gons rarely do.  I thought I'd ask "the folks"
their opinions on the matter.
      Wood gondola floors were more common than steel ones in the
steam era, for the exact same reason that wood decks were used on flat
cars: loads and cribbing were more easily attached.
       The biggest exception was the kind of mill gon which normally
carried steel structural shapes or plate. These did not have to be
secured with any dunnage in most cases and needed to be as durable as
possible.
       ORER entries often identify wood vs. steel floors in gondolas,
simply so car clerks would know the proper assignment of such cars.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history